Mission and Objectives
The mission of the University of Kansas, Department of Mechanical Engineering is to provide our students with a high quality education, to generate and apply knowledge, and to serve both society and the engineering profession. The Department's Program Educational Objectives (PEOs *) in support of our mission are that our graduates will be:
- technically skilled in the application of the principles of mechanical engineering, and demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively and in teams;
- successful in their chosen career paths, demonstrating the attitudes, abilities, and personal leadership to effectively adapt to our changing global society while maintaining and promoting the highest engineering, professional, and ethical standards; and
- actively engaged in continuous learning and professional growth throughout their careers while productively contributing to their organizations and communities.
Students who graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Kansas should have achieved the following Student Outcomes (SOs):
- (SO-a) an ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- (SO-b) an ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- (SO-c) an ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- (SO-d) an ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- (SO-e) an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- (SO-f) an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- (SO-g) an ability to communicate effectively
- (SO-h) the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
- (SO-i) a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- (SO-j) a knowledge of contemporary issues
- (SO-k) an ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
* Note that these PEOs have superseded the 2006-2011 PEOs below:
- Our graduates will be technically skilled in the principles of mechanical engineering.
- Our graduates will be successful in their chosen career path while maintaining the highest professional and ethical standards.
- Our graduates will continue learning throughout their careers while productively contributing to their organizations and communities. They will demonstrate the attitudes and abilities of leaders who effectively adapt to our changing global society.